Saturday, April 24, 2010

In Praise of Jell-O-Salad

I’ve been researching Jell-O-salads for the past few days in preparation for a church auction event Eliza and I are helping to organize. The theme is “Wisconsin Winterfest.”

So we’ve got brats, squeaky fresh Wisconsin cheese curds (and cheese-head hats) and…you guessed it – Jell-O-salad. You see no Wisconsin social event, especially not a church event, can be authentic and complete without at least one or two Jell-O-salads. Don’t ask me why – thems just the rules.

I volunteered to take care of this crucial part of the festivities, but having only memories of Jell-O-salads past to guide me, I called my parents. They have strong views on what makes a particularly good salad, as do many of my old Wisconsin friends on Facebook – all of whom were quick to email me their favorite recipes.

Other friends, less well disposed toward salads-salads, wrote back with witty comments like, “Do you mean Lutheran Church-Basement Salad?”

To which my answer was simple – “YES!”

This one was my favorite as a child, and I was allowed eat wiggly helping after helping because it was a “salad” after all (it does have carrots in it!):
Carrot-Pineapple Jell-O

1 small can crushed pineapple
1 c. carrots, grated
1/4 tsp. salt
1 small package lemon Jell-O
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 c. sugar

Drain the pineapple and add enough water to the juice to make 1 1/2 cups. Heat to
boiling. Add Jell-O and stir until dissolved. Stir in sugar, salt, and lemon juice. Chill until
slightly thickened. Add pineapple and grated carrots. Chill until firm.

These salads are definitely not very nutritious, nor are they vegetarian-friendly – and I’m not even sure if I will still care for the carrot/pineapple/orange Jell-O salad I so adored as a child – but I am excited to find out.

It’s all about tradition, you see. For me, nothing says, “home” quite like a folding table heavily laden with rich cheesy casseroles and Jell-O-salads, dishes most often named (on handwritten index cards next to the dish) after their inventor, someone’s mom, grandma or great-grandma.

Even in the toughest of times, the bright colors of Jell-O (often set in fanciful molds; turkeys, footballs, Santas) conjured immediate festivity no matter how tight the budget and made those old canned fruits and vegetables not only edible, but scrumptious.

Laughter, paper plates, orange soda, lazy summer afternoons and seasonal sweatshirts accompany my memories of Jell-O-salad. My memories of Jell-O-salad are suffused with the feeling that everything is going to be just fine – and with the childlike feeling of being safe and loved.

Until I started looking through these old recipes I had no idea…I had forgotten.
And so, here I stand, a proud and protective Jell-O-apologist ready to lift a wobbling green spoonful in gratitude and solidarity with the Midwestern picnics and potlucks of yesterday, today and tomorrow.

What are your food traditions? What are the tastes and smells that transport you across miles and decades? What is your Jell-O-salad? As always, I welcome your stories, and in this case – your recipes.

Bon appetite!

No comments: